- The prevention of post-operative infections due to anaerobic bacteria (particularly species of bacteroides and anaerobic streptococci).
- The treatment of septicaemia, bacteraemia, peritonitis, brain abscess, pelvic abscess, pelvic cellulitis and post-operative wound infections caused by anaerobes.
- In the treatment of urogenital trichomoniasis.
- Bacterial vaginosis (also known as non-specific vaginitis).
- All forms of amoebiasis (intestinal, extra-intestinal disease and that of symptomless cyst passers).
- Acute ulcerative gingivitis.
- Anaerobically infected leg ulcers and pressure sores.
- Acute dental infections due to anaerobic organisms.
- Antibiotic–associated pseudomembranous colitis.