Amoxicillin is indicated in the treatment of infections due to susceptible ß-lactamase negative strains of microorganisms. These infections include
- Ear, nose and throat infections (i.e. otitis media, sinusitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis)
- Lower respiratory tract infections (i.e. pneumonia, acute and chronic bronchitis lung abscess, empyema, bronchiectasis)
- Skin and soft tissue infections (i.e. cellulitis, carbuncles, furunculosis, infected wounds, abscess)
- Genito-urinary tract infections (i.e. pyelonephritis, cystitis and urethritis)
- Venereal disease (i.e. acute uncomplicated gonorrhoea)
- In dental abscess, it is used as short-term therapy.
- It is also indicated in combination with Clarithromycin and Lansoprazole (as triple therapy), for the treatment of patients with H. pylori infection and duodenal ulcer disease and to reduce the risk of duodenal ulcer recurrence.