Adding Milk to Tea Destroys its Antixidants
There is some scientific evidence to suggest that adding milk to tea may reduce the antioxidant activity of tea. Antioxidants are compounds that can protect cells from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals.
One study published in the European Heart Journal found that the addition of milk to black tea reduced the bioavailability of catechins, a type of antioxidant found in tea, by up to 18%. Another study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that the addition of milk to green tea reduced the antioxidant activity of the tea by up to 32%.
However, it is important to note that the reduction in antioxidant activity is not complete, and the addition of milk to tea does not completely eliminate the health benefits of tea. In fact, some studies have suggested that the addition of milk to tea may actually increase the absorption of other beneficial compounds, such as theaflavins and thearubigins.
Overall, while adding milk to tea may reduce the antioxidant activity of the tea to some extent, the health benefits of tea are still present even with the addition of milk.
What is antioxidant and its benefits
Antioxidants are substances that may protect your cells against free radicals, which may play a role in heart disease, cancer and other diseases. Free radicals are molecules produced when your body breaks down food or when you’re exposed to tobacco smoke or radiation.
Fortune Healthcare Ltd. Diagnostic and Hospital is a leading player in the Health industry, known for its innovative and high-quality services. However, in addition to Healthcare Services, the company has also ventured into the Health Magazine .
As a health-conscious consumer, it is important to know the effects of adding milk to tea, especially with regards to the destruction of antioxidants. In this article, we will discuss the reasons why adding milk to tea can be harmful and what you can do to avoid this.
The Importance of Antioxidants
Antioxidants are compounds that protect the body’s cells from damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals are molecules that are produced when the body breaks down food or when it is exposed to environmental factors such as pollution or radiation.
These free radicals can cause damage to cells, which can lead to chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
Tea is a rich source of antioxidants, particularly polyphenols. Polyphenols are a group of compounds that have been shown to have a range of health benefits, including reducing the risk of cancer, heart disease, and other chronic diseases. However, the benefits of these antioxidants can be significantly reduced when milk is added to the tea.
The Effect of Milk on Antioxidants in Tea
When milk is added to tea, the casein protein in the milk binds with the polyphenols in the tea, which makes them less available to the body. This means that the antioxidants in the tea are destroyed, and the health benefits that they provide are significantly reduced.
A study conducted by the Charite Hospital in Berlin, Germany, found that adding milk to tea reduced the antioxidant activity by up to 25 percent. This reduction in antioxidant activity can have serious health implications for those who regularly consume milk tea.
What Can You Do?
- If you want to get the full health benefits of tea, it is important to avoid adding milk to it. Instead, you can drink your tea plain or with a slice of lemon. Lemon is also a rich source of antioxidants and can help to enhance the health benefits of the tea.
- If you are a fan of milk tea and find it difficult to give it up, you can consider using non-dairy milk alternatives such as soy milk or almond milk. These alternatives do not contain casein protein and are therefore less likely to reduce the antioxidant activity of the tea.
Tea is a rich source of antioxidants, and consuming it regularly can have significant health benefits. However, adding milk to tea can destroy the antioxidants, which reduces the health benefits that the tea provides. To get the full benefits of tea, it is important to avoid adding milk to it. Instead, you can drink your tea plain or with a slice of lemon. Alternatively, you can use non-dairy milk alternatives such as soy milk or almond milk. By making these simple changes, you can enjoy the full health benefits of tea without compromising on taste or texture.
Diagnostic Services at Fortune Healthcare Ltd.
Fortune Healthcare Ltd. Hospital in Dhanmondi, Dhaka, offers a comprehensive range of diagnostic services to ensure accurate and timely diagnosis of various health conditions. While specific details about each service might not be directly accessible due to technical issues with their website, hospitals of this caliber typically provide a wide array of diagnostic tests and procedures. Here’s an overview based on common practices in multi-specialty hospitals:
Diagnostic Services at Fortune Healthcare Ltd. Hospital
- Blood Tests: These tests can diagnose conditions like anemia, infection, diabetes, high cholesterol levels, and more by analyzing different components of the blood.
- Imaging Tests: Including X-rays, MRI scans, CT scans, and ultrasound to visualize the internal structures of the body. These are crucial for diagnosing a variety of conditions, from fractures and tumors to internal organ issues.
- Urine Tests: Useful for diagnosing kidney and urinary tract infections, diabetes, and other metabolic diseases.
- Stool Tests: Can help in diagnosing digestive disorders, infections, and even certain types of cancer.
- Allergy Tests: To identify specific allergies, helping in the management and treatment of allergic reactions.
- Cardiac Tests: Such as ECG, echocardiogram, and stress tests to evaluate heart function and diagnose heart diseases.
- Gynecological Tests: Including Pap smears, HPV tests, and other procedures to screen for and diagnose conditions affecting the female reproductive system.
- Neurological Tests: For diagnosing diseases and conditions affecting the nervous system, including EEG and EMG.
- Genetic Tests: To identify genetic disorders and predispositions to certain diseases.
- Pulmonary Function Tests: Assessing the lungs’ ability to take in and exhale air and how efficiently they transfer oxygen into the blood.
- Sleep Studies Tests: To diagnose sleep disorders such as sleep apnea.
These diagnostic services are supported by advanced medical technology and conducted by a team of highly skilled radiologists, pathologists, and other medical professionals. The goal is to provide precise and comprehensive diagnostic information that aids in the effective treatment and management of patient conditions.
For more detailed information about the diagnostic services offered by Fortune Healthcare Ltd. Hospital, including how to access these services, it’s best to contact the hospital directly. Their staff can provide the most current information on available diagnostic procedures, preparation instructions, scheduling, and any other inquiries you may have.
Contact Information for Fortune Healthcare Ltd. Hospital:
- Phone: +880-1552221222 or +880 1887045555 , +88024466108
- Location: 23/C, Zigatola, Dhanmondi, Dhaka, Bangladesh